Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Updated Digital Scrapbooking Site

Whew, what a week. The reason I've not been updating this blog as much is because I've been on a crash course learning WordPress. It took three days to get the installation process to work, mainly because I was trying to do it manually but discovered my hosting service had an "auto-install" feature. So I've been fooling around lately with directories and FTP uploads.

I know there are many wonderful free WordPress themes out there, and I actually fell in love with one of them. However, the "readme" file was only two paragraphs and I was totally clueless on how to customize it for my needs. So... I bit the bullet and purchased Thesis, which is supposed to be the next best thing to chocolate. Or so I've been told.

Today I spent the day creating the site and more is on the horizon. I have a new welcome video, although I really want to add a form to the side of it so people can sign up for notifications. Still, I was able to get my old posts uploaded, added a few pages, and added my social media icons.

I had no idea how many ways there were to do so many things with Thesis! It seems as though everyone has a different take on how to install or activate something and of course, the ones I tried didn't work for me. Add to this a theme that has been updated quite often and you end up with a mishmash of "how-to's" online that are outdated and unusable. As a newbie, sifting through all of that is not particularly my idea of fun, but I'm on a mission.

So, if you've been wondering if I've fallen off a cliff, now you know!

Check out my website, if you've not, already. Next, I have to figure out how to feature my gallery. Oy.

No comments: