Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Noteworthy Blogs: Amy Wellborn is on Beliefnet

One month ago to the day, the husband of Amy Wellborn passed away. I am beginning to know Amy through her online writing, having noticed a year ago that the people I was interested in, were interested in her. I admit I've never read any of her books.

However, there is something about her that touches me. Perhaps it is the spirit of another wanderer, a questioner, someone who tries to look at the working of God's hand from another angle and reaches for Him always - whether in confusion or partial understanding. When her husband suddenly collapsed from a heart attack, I immediately felt the shock and pain as though it happened to me. When I feel these sort of connections, I pay attention. God is usually at work.

I have often thought about Amy and her family. I know how the sudden loss of someone very important to you can turn your world inside-out. We are defined, to some extent, by our relationships. We don't understand the underpinnings of these complex connections until that connection disappears. Suddenly, you feel a bit lost. Not sure how to act or where to turn. Sometimes you feel silly, knowing you live in a world that doesn't know how to handle grief. And then thinking about grief, not sure if it's something to be handled or simply endured; like a raging tsunami, threatening to crush you with the weight of sorrow.

I truly don't know how anyone lives through grief without the grace of God. Who else could know the deep pain but God, who sacrificed His only Son so that we could live? It is a mystery, enormous and bottomless, even on the surface.

Amy is now writing for Beliefnet.com. Her blog there is called Via Media. She desires solid, mature commenting and I don't blame her. On a website that is filled with everything from New Agers to atheists, I can only imagine the type of trolls it attracts. Still, I plan on following her there and commenting when I'm able.

Please continue to keep Amy and her family in prayer.

No comments: