Thursday, August 7, 2008

Our Lady, Acquainted With Sorrow

I had some moments today when I dealt with my grief over losing my mother. As I thought about Jesus Christ and all the suffering He endured, it occurred to me that between St. Joseph, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and Jesus Christ - it was Mary who grieved a personal loss the most. Jesus Christ certainly had a heavier burden of grief - all of humankind separated from their Creator by sin. But when it comes to personal grief, I'm looking at Mary with new eyes.

She lost her beloved husband; and then had to witness her only Son be humiliated, tortured, and killed right before her eyes. Grief? I can't even imagine. To be forced to witness such brutality to your offspring and not be able to do anything about it is one of the highest tests of one's faith I can imagine.

It is one thing to bear the burden of our own suffering. It is quite another to bear your own son's suffering while knowing you can do nothing to prevent or stop it.

Mary was there with her Son, every step of the way. I am certain that as painful as it was, her presence still gave her Son great comfort and for her, the bond of love held fast even to the end.

Although I have been leaning on my Lord for strength to get through the sorrow, I also realized that Mary can be a very important intercessor for me, identifying with my grief since she herself had endured so much.

And isn't it something that the month of August is dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary? Amen and amen.

No comments: