Sunday, April 27, 2008

Too Funny! And Thoughts on the Novus Ordo

I am researching various sites that talk about the differences between the Novus Ordo liturgy and the Tridentine Mass (the traditional Latin Mass). I came across this beaut:

The Novus Ordo Mass by 2040

Oh. My. Gosh. I was laughing so hard, tears came to my eyes! My husband, who just shakes his head at me, said that if I showed that page to my father, he'd probably be offended. I said my dad would probably laugh a little and then quickly scold the person who created it, saying they should know better.

But the guy has a point! The liturgy has been diluted since Vatican II. Even I, after being away for so long, can see that. I was also surprised to see one site claim that the man who was the chief architect of Vatican II, Fr. Anibale Bugnini, joined together with six Protestants to strip the Catholic rite of anything that would be a "stumbling block" for our "separated brethren," the Protestants. (!)

If that is true, then all I can do is echo Neo from the film, The Matrix - Whoa.

One of the things I realized from this (the introduction of the Novus Ordo), was that the doctrine of Transubstantiation was lost. Ask most Catholics today if they believe that what they're receiving is the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ or if it's only symbolic. The same site I just listed referenced a 1992 Gallup poll study that found only 30% of Catholics believed in the Real Presence. The attitude of that nun from my "Coming Home" program spoke volumes. If she was minimizing the Eucharist in the Tabernacle, then I'd think it would be a safe bet that she didn't place much stock in Eucharistic Adoration.

I can only look at the fruit from the past 40+ years to see that we've lost something precious. To me, it's even more reason to celebrate the Tridentine Mass. We need to reclaim that which is most intrinsic to our faith.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi. &:o) Found you via Catholic Notebook. I'm with you on this 100%. Why mess with something that was pretty darn close to perfect? Thank God the tridentine Mass is still out here!

Tune said...

I found this blog through "stuff catholics like". I do not like "the Novus Ordo Mass by 2040" article. I think that is totally sacrilegious, if not condescending our Catholic belief. I think novus ordo, if maintained correctly, has its strength. But anyway, most importantly let us all hope that those who are in favor of Tridentine mass (the traddie as http://anglopapist.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/what-is-catholiclite/ describes it) would embrace (instead of disliking) those who loves the good novus ordo mass as well. Indeed in John 17, Jesus wants each one of us to be one as He and His father is one.

Soutenus said...

I posted a link to this and to you over at my blog. I, too, laughed until I cried. After I finished reading Novus Ordo 2044 -- I felt like crying for real. I am with Lisa, I am so glad the tridentine Mass is still out there.
Great Blog btw!