Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Nun Apologizes - Tonight's "Coming Home" Program

Whew. I'm not sure where to start.

Tonight our topic was "Informed Conscience" and the speaker is a nun. She was in her sixties and dressed in the typical dark, hum-drum outfits that have become common for modern nuns. It sounded like she lived alone. As soon as she said that she was "pleasantly surprised" by how good today's Mass was, led by Pope Benedict, I knew she was likely a liberal. As she pontificated about how one makes a moral choice, I couldn't help but feel as though I was on the moss-covered rocks of Slippery Rock in Arizona, and there was nothing left but to keep falling back into the stream.

She admitted she didn't subscribe to our diocese Catholic newspaper because she thought they showed "poor journalism." I've not had the chance myself to read this newspaper, but I suspect they lean right. She sang the praises of another publication that I've seen referred to as liberal. She said they were but she liked their perspective.

She also said something to a man who is my age that I found surprising. She apologized for her generation's role in not being more thorough with their religious formation. Gee. Ya think?

I couldn't help but ask the question about Catholic identity. If this person is choosing whatever according to their conscience and that one over there chooses differently - then what does it mean to be Catholic? Are there any standards at all or is it still "anything goes?"

She admitted that the Roman Catholic church is comprised of a diverse group of people. What makes us Catholic (in her eyes) is the fact we have a Pope. But it sounded as though even some church teachings (that reflect the Catechism) are still up for grabs.

I'm still trying to figure out some things. I find it sad that those who want to stick to their "Informed Conscience" guns are muddying the waters for those who are trying to return to the church but finding no net.

I can't wait for Sunday. I'm going to attend my first Latin Mass ever and am really looking forward to it. I think I need a good dose of Latin.

No comments: